Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Types of school places for children with SEND


Different school options suit different people but all schools should be welcoming to students with SEND and use their best endevours to make sure they are appropriately supported. 

Below are the school options for pupils and students in Hillingdon.

Mainstream School

Most children and young people are educated in mainstream schools and this includes those with Education, Health and Care Plans (previously called a statement of SEN).

Many children and young people with additional learning needs can make better, more sustained progress academically and socially if they are able to attend mainstream schools with their peers.

Legally, all Local Authorities have to have an Accessibility Strategy.

Further information about Hillingdon's strategy and plan can be found here:

Send Capital Project Delivery Plan 

Additional Need Strategy

Mainstream schools have money to support children with SEND in their budgets this is called element 2 funding. Element 2 funding is used for students requiring more help at "SEN Support" level (previously called "school action" and "action plus"). 

School are now required to have information about how they provide support for children and young people with Special Educational Needs clearly visible on the schools own website. This is called a School SEN Information Report.

Section 41 approved schools

The Children and Families Act 2014 brings in a new category of school, a “Section 41 school”.

This is a new category of independent school or post-16 institution, specially organised to make provision for pupils with SEN, where the school have chosen this status and met the requirements for it.

Parents or young people may request a section 41 approved school or college is named in an EHC Plan.

Find out more about special schools and colleges  approved under section 41 in England and Wales

Independent schools are usually privately run for profit. Non-maintained schools are usually managed by charitable organisations and are not profit-making. Neither are maintained by local authorities.

Most children with an education health and care plan or a statement of special educational needs will be suitably placed in local mainstream schools or special schools maintained by the local authority.

Where children or young people have an Education, Health and Care Plan (previously called a Statement of Special Educational Needs) it is a key aim of the Council  that wherever possible, their needs are met locally, thereby enabling the majority to remain with their families.

The Local Authority will always endeavour to utilise local educational provision to meet the needs of Hillingdon residents. Parents have the right to request an educational placement under Section 9.78 of the Code of Practice, or make representations for placement at other educational settings following guidance set out within Section 9.84 of the Code of Practice. 

The Local Authority will always consult with schools identified as parental preference, whilst also consulting with local educational settings in parallel. This will ensure the Local Authority gives consideration to reasonable use of public resources, in conjunction with the wishes of parents when making a decision to name a setting within a Final Plan.

To find out more about the schools in Hillingdon, look at the Department for Education’s website www.education.gov.uk/edubase

Expectations on maintained schools

The Expectations on Maintained Schools document sets out the element of provision that should normally be met from mainstream schools' budgets for pupils with Special Educational Needs but not an Education, Health and Care Plan and also those pupils who have Education, Health and Care Plans.

Last reviewed: 28/09/2017

Useful links


Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Types of school places for children with SEND

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.

While every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages. Those using the site are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase as well as making their own enquiries and seeking independent advice.


Copyright© 2012 - 2017 PCG Care Solutions. View our Terms of use, our Privacy policy or our Accessibility statement