Connect to Support Hillingdon
Please review and correct the information below.

Eligibility for Adult Social Care


Adult social care can provide practical support to help maintain a person’s independence, increase quality of life. The level of support available will vary depending on the person's needs and circumstances.
In Hillingdon we work with adults (over 18 years old) with physical and learning disabilities, their families and carers to promote independence and personal well-being.

We actively support individuals with disabilities to be independent, with choice and control over their own lives.

From April 2015, all councils across the country have used the same criteria to measure whether residents are eligible for social care services. Whether someone is eligible or not can only be determined after they have completed a Care Act Assessment.


You are eligible for a needs assessment as an adult if you have care and support needs as a result of:

  • your sight or hearing loss
  • physical or learning disabilities
  • a mental health problem
  • frailty or illness

If you are already known to Children with a Disability Social Work team or have an Education Health and Care Plan you should be including plans for the future as part of the annual planning and review process from age 12 onwards. For more information please ask your nominated worker.

Assessment process

Your needs assessment

The first step in the process is to complete a needs assessment.

If you have difficulty in contributing to the assessment you may choose a relative, family member or friend to support you in the process. If you do not have anyone who can help you the council will appoint an independent advocate to support you.

Your care and support plan

This information will be used to work out the care support you need. You can identify the types of support and services that you need and this will be written in your care and support plan.

You will be advised of your personal budget to meet your eligible needs. You will be able to use your personal budget to buy the support or services you need or a mix of both.

Your financial assessment

Most people will require a financial assessment to ascertain how much they will need to pay towards the cost of their services. If you have over £23,250 in savings you will pay the full cost of your care and support.

The eligibility threshold for adults with care and support needs, is based on how a person’s needs, affects their ability to achieve the relevant outcomes, and how it impacts on their wellbeing.

Further information

To request an assessment, you should contact Hillingdon Social Care Direct or complete an online self assessment. More information on the adult social care assessment and support process can be found here.

Last reviewed: 21/09/2017

Useful links


Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Eligibility for Adult Social Care

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.

While every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hillingdon Council or PCG Care Solutions will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages. Those using the site are advised to refer to the Buyers Guide prior to making a purchase as well as making their own enquiries and seeking independent advice.


Copyright© 2012 - 2017 PCG Care Solutions. View our Terms of use, our Privacy policy or our Accessibility statement